Breast Augmentation from A to Z: from the ASPS
The average patient wishing a breast augmentation is 34 years old, married and has at least a college degree. About 94% of these women are satisfied with their decisions, 92% would certainly recommend the procedure to others, while 82% reports boost of self-esteem. The number of women undergoing the procedure has tripled since 1997, and more than 2/3 chooses silicone over saline implants.
The most common reasons which led them to undergo a breast augmentation surgery included:
- Looking better without clothes (91 %)
- Fitting better in clothes (84 %)
- Having larger breasts (84 %)
- Feeling better with one’s self (81 %)
- Boosting self-esteem (79 %)
- Eliminating low self-esteem (74 %)
Some facts you may not know:
- At the beginning of the 20th century, before the introduction of silicone implants, several materials had been used in breast augmentation procedures, such as glass balls, iron, ox cartilage or even peanut oil. Fortunately, plastic surgeons now have silicone implants.
- Since 1997, there has been an increasing demand in breast augmentation surgeries amounting to 213%. 101,176 procedures were performed in 1997 and 316,848 in 2011!!
- Patients undergoing the surgery are mostly women in their 30s, married or in a steady relationship, and college-educated.
- Since 1997, cup size increased from 34B to 36C- C being the largest breast implant size.
- A cup resembles a melon, b cup an orange, C a grapefruit and D a small-sized melon.
- 92% would recommend the surgery to another person, 94% is satisfied with their decision, 82% reports boost of self-esteem, 61% has increased sexual intercourse frequency and 70% has improved sex life.