Flabby arms: a key point after weight loss
The harsh reality is that after a successful diet or surgical procedure, you may be left with quite significant excess skin.
Although exercise, which is highly recommend, can tone up your muscles, unfortunately is has zero impact on loose skin. This is particularly evident, especially on hot summer days.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported earlier this month that women no longer stand loose arms. Instead, they go on to the second stage of their personal remodeling: brachioplasty.
Today, there is no shortage of role models for beautiful arms, staring with Michelle Obama.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) there has been an impressive 812 % increase in brachioplasty since 1997, even though most procedures leave a visible incision from the armpit to the elbow, on the inner upper arm.
The really important message is that the scars vary," Leo R. McCafferty, past president of ASAPS, told the Pittsburgh Post. "Some procedures deliver great results, some don't..
It's unpredictable. The ideal patient is really someone who is trying to look good in jackets and tops.
Dr. Dennis Hurwitz, clinical professor of plastic surgery at the Medical School of the University of Pittsburgh says that ideal candidates have a lot of thin, sagging skin that hangs from the upper arm.
- Brachioplasty is usually done on an outpatient basis, under local anesthetic.
- There's not a lot of postoperative discomfort, but patients must limit upper arm activity for about two weeks.
- Your lifestyle and everyday working out determine the success of this surgery. The arm will look better if there are some toned muscles underneath the skin.
- If you don't have further weight gain and loss, brachioplasty results are permanent.
- If you have excess fat but good skin tone, liposuction may be an option, but it is not uncommon for women to undergo liposuction first and then proceed with brachioplasty.
If you are unhappy with the appearance of your upper arms, it is advisable to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.